The CLRC online class experience relies on two separate software platforms:
- Adobe Connect is the conferencing software that provides our live, interactive classrooms. Students listen to the instructor, make comments, pose questions, and consider the questions of others—all in real time. They participate in the class either by microphone or by typing brief comments or questions into a chat box. Instructors post charts, diagrams, pictures, PowerPoints, video clips, and other teaching aids. They also may write on the class “white board.”
- Canvas is the program we use for learning management—class assignments, discussions, grade reports, teacher-student communications, etc.
Adobe Connect Classroom Requirements
Microphone and Webcam: Students need a microphone to participate in our online classes. If the student’s computer has a built-in microphone, it should be perfectly adequate. Students are not required to have a webcam. We do have some classes in which teachers and students run their webcams for most of the class. Where the webcams are particularly useful is in our Modern Language classes. Student webcams allow the instructor to observe and help students to form and properly enunciate words. In some classes, students may be invited to come on their webcams to greet one another at the beginning or ending of class. Or they may be invited to utilize the webcam for making classroom presentations. But all of that usage is optional, not required. As with microphones, the built-in webcam in most computers is all the student needs.
Essential Computer System Requirements:
The essential computer system requirements for attending our live classroom sessions are:
4 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or faster processor (or equivalent)
Windows 10, 8.1 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
512 MB of RAM (1 GB recommended)
Browsers: Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 or later, Windows Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome
- 83 GHz Intel Core Duo or faster processor
- 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
- Mac OS X 10.11, 10.12 and 10.13
- Browsers: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Apple Safari (N.B: In our experience, Safari has proven to be the most problematic browser for running Adobe Connect classrooms)
- Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- No application support is available for Linux. Users on Linux can attend meetings in a browser.
- Google Chrome
- Adobe Flash Player 23.0
- Google Android 4.4 or later
- Apple iOS: iOS 8.1.2 or later
- Each of the above requires downloading the free Adobe Connect mobile app from the App Store/Google Play
Downloading the Adobe Connect Desktop Application (Add-In)
To fully utilize all the resources of the Adobe Connect classroom, it is necessary to download the free Adobe Desktop Application (sometimes referred to as the Adobe Add-In). This is especially important for optimal functioning of microphones and web cams.
The simplest way to download the application is to visit our CLRC Technical Support page: https://www.clrconline.com/technical-support/
Scroll down to #1 under “Adobe Classroom Support Tools.” First, read through the instructions provided there. Then click on the green “RUN ADOBE DIAGNOSTIC” button to do the installation.
Adobe Connect Special Cases: iPads and Chromebooks
Many of our students use iPads. With the Adobe Connect mobile app installed, they work very well for attending live class sessions. However, please be aware that recorded class sessions cannot be replayed on an iPad. Once converted to their recorded format, class meetings require Adobe Flash Player for playback. iPads do not support Flash Player.
Chromebooks may be used to participate in our classes. Their functionality is somewhat limited in that they do not support the Adobe Connect desktop app/add-in. However, this affects teachers and presenters more than students. The primary concern for a student using a Chromebook is to assure that Flash Player is enabled for the classroom URL. For more information and instruction regarding Chromebooks, see the “Using a Chromebook” section of our Technical Support page ( https://www.clrconline.com/technical-support/#chromebook ).
Using our Canvas learning management site requires no special downloads or apps. All the student needs is a Canvas-supported web browser. Acceptable browsers include:
- Chrome 72 and 73
- Firefox 65 and 66
- Internet Explorer 11 (Windows only—functionally supported; may exhibit slight visual differences from other browsers, but these differences do not restrict product functionality)
- Edge 42 and 44 (Windows only)
- Safari 11 and 12 (Macintosh only)
We strongly recommend that students use the most current version of their preferred browser. Typically, your browser will alert you when there are updates or a newer version available.
If you have questions about the compatibility of your computer system, or about browsers, or downloads, etc., please contact CLRC Technical Support.